Sunday, July 11, 2010

Seven Year Old Spitfire

Harrison turned seven on Thursday.  He has reached the age where his birthday is a REALLY BIG DEAL.  Sadly, nothing seemed to be going right that day.  He was a pretty good sport about it, but I felt bad.  We did get to see Toy Story 3.  Not the best choice for that day.  [Spoiler alert] The movie begins with home movies of a Harrison-sized Andy playing with his toys.  I started bawling like a baby and didn't stop until they rolled the credits. 

People often tell me that my kids' childhood will just fly by and I will be sad when it's over.  Most days (like today) I feel like nothing is getting through to them and their childhood will never end.  I have to keep reminding myself that someday my son's life is going to be reduced to a two-minute slide show at his Eagle Court of Honor and I'll wonder where the time went. 
We waited an embarrassingly long time to get him a bike without training wheels.  For his birthday present he chose a Schwinn Spitfire ("Just like Adam's!").  After a couple of days he got the hang of it and can now ride on his own.  He was pretty excited about it.


 

4 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

Yeah - that Toy Story 3 should have come with tissues instead of popcorn. I love how banged up Harrison's knees are riding that shiny new bike.

Unknown said...

I must admit I got misty-eyed watching that movie too. Also, we totally have to get going on the bike riding too. lol. Thanks for the motivation!!

Awesome action picture of Harrison jumping!

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

You have a SEVEN YEAR OLD!!! Crazy!! (oh sorry, don't mean to rub it in or anything. :))
I think I will feel the same way when Tyler turns seven. Some days they don't grow up fast enough and other days you wonder how they started making lunch or getting dressed without your help. What?!!! You NEED me!!!

allyn said...

NO WAY!!! how did you get him to do that for the last shot? that is so funny. so adam and banks were riding bikes and pretending that their names were the writing on the bike. adam was "spitfire" because that is what the bike said. banks decided that he was "spitfaster". his bike doesn't say that,he just wanted to be better than adam.