Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Whiz of a Wiz

We finished The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.  I think Mister L. Frank exaggerates a bit.  It's not that wonderful.  It was just okay for me.  As a longtime fan of the movie, I had a hard time reading the book.  The story is basically the same, but the journey is longer and the five companions (Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion, and Toto, too.) encounter a lot more weirdos.  Sometimes they befriend the weirdos, but usually they murder or maim them.  Despite the violence, it's definitely written for kids, which I appreciated.  Harrison loved the book and thought the movie was dumb.  Chloe loved the movie and liked the book.  This time I truly believe that is their opinion and they weren't trying to be contrary.  (Usually they disagree with each other just for funsies.)  Not that I wouldn't recommend reading the book.  The problem for Harrison was that the movie was very different from the book and that bothered him.  So, there you go.

This week I introduced them to Harry Potter.  I've been crying through the whole thing.  What is wrong with me?  Geez!

10 Wisecracks:

Tammy and Alvin said...

crying? really? maybe you're pregnant ;)

melissa said...

Ha. I knew someone would say that. I'm not pregnant. I'm just a weeper.

Nicole said...

You're introducing them to a classic that came out in YOUR lifetime! I get it. But I cry when Bridget says "thank you" to old ladies who tell her she's pretty.

Also, I saw a copy of Mary Poppins (the book) at Borders and wondered if you'd done that one yet?

Jess said...

"The Wizard of Oz" is a violent book? Sheesh. Now I know. I am totally of the Harrison line of thought- I really struggle when a movie is different from the book. I think I may stay away from this book. :)

melissa said...

The violence was presented in a very straightforward sort of way that made it seem less violent. Like, "The lion climbed the giant spider while it was sleeping and cut it's head off." The story of how the tin man became the tin man creeped me out, but I could be overthinking it. It really is fine for children.

Shannon said...

Maybe the crying means your pregnant......just sayin'. :)

allyn said...

why isn't anyone noticing the most beautiful picture of a flower i have ever seen? maybe because all of your pictures of flowers (and everything else) are too beautiful and they just come to expect that from you and your blog. anyway-i haven't ever read these books ( i guess it is a series. i know this from the documentary hosted by angela lansbury on our video of the wizard of oz). i know the movie quite well, though and totally love it. except the part where the tin man cries like a baby at the end. he just looks gay.


why is the secret word "sperm" on the verification?

melissa said...

Thanks, Allyn! I took that one while you were here at the Botanical Gardens. It's my new favorite. Is that really a series of books? Hmm. I'll have to look that up.

Jen said...

I agree with Allyn- the flower is breathtaking. Genius! We watched WoO at the movies in the park last week. It's so much shorter than I remember. I think we always watched it on tv with tons of commercials because that sucker flew by.
I'm with you on Harry Potter and with Nicole on crying when your kids are wonderful. I cry about everything (usually on the third week of each month)

Unknown said...

We read the WoO to Parker and Meadow too, Parker liked it. It was full of weirdos though (more so than the movie). Meadow liked the movie better.

We are reading HP too! Parker is fascinated and Meadow mostly plays with toys and half-listens but she is enjoying it too.

I was thinking along the same lines as Jen. I can usually trace my weepiness to certain times of the month. lol. Although, I must say I m a weeper too. Its good for you isn't it?! lol.