Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Well, THAT was an easy quest!"

We recently returned from our vacation in North Carolina.  Harrison was pretty bummed last night.  I asked him what was wrong and he said, "It's just . . . sometimes we go on vacation and we have lots of fun and then we come home and act like we never even went on vacation."  I hear ya, man.

We had a great time at Jeff's parent's house.  Chloe helped Grandma in her quest to remove all of the acorns from her yard.

When she finished the job, she came in and said, "Well, THAT was an easy quest!"

Miles found plenty of things to amuse himself.

After the acorn quest, I took the kids on a tour of my life.  My dad likes to take people on a tour of his life in Pocatello, ID.  It goes something like this: "This is the parking lot that used to be the hospital where I was born. . .  This is the parking lot that used to be my elementary school. . . . This is the parking lot that used to be, bla bla bla . . ."  I figured I'd better get pictures of the important places of my childhood before they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.  Everything looked very different.  The new owners of my parent's old house painted the front door a bright, lime green.  Who the %&$*#@! does that?  The tour ended with the bakery where I had my first job.  It was delicious.

Monday night the kids put on a puppet show with Grandma.  They told the story of Jesus' birth.  This is Mary, Joseph, and their donkey.  My favorite part was when Mary gave birth to the baby Jesus and Patti pulled a smaller puppet out of the Mary puppet.  Harrison's idea.

The weather was incredible all week.  The colored leaves were still on the trees and it was cool and sunny.  Pie tastes better when it feels like Fall.  Our Pie Day was very successful, you'll be glad to know.


On Thanksgiving Day, Jeff and his brother Brian headed to the church Turkey Bowl and the kids and I came to watch for a while.  Harrison and Miles had fun playing with the big boys.



Busted!  I knew they liked each other!

Thanksgiving dinner was fantastic!  I ate my weight in mashed potatoes and gravy.  Just as we sat down to eat, the Plautz family stopped by so Pops could release their son as a missionary.  Jeff offered his seat to Doug Plautz.  Big mistake.  Doug sat down and ate Jeff's whole plate of food.  Also, he held that pose for five straight pictures.  Classic Doug!

Thanks for everything, Pops and Patti!



10 Wisecracks:

allyn said...

thank you melissa. i am good for one more day. looks like you had the best vacation ever. don't pretend like it never happened.

Nicole said...

I think I'm going to change the name of my blog to "Who the @#$%&* Does That?" You know, before you copyright it. :)

There you go delighting the dark part of me that likes pictures of kids crying. Miles running away from Harrison and a football - Classic Miles.

KQ said...

I am loving that both of our families did puppet shows! Wish I could have seen the birth of puppet baby Jesus. HaHa! And when I grow up, I hope that I have Patti's hair. How cool is that stripe?!

melissa said...

Nicole, I will give you cash money if you change the name of your blog to Who the *&^%@! Does These Things?

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

I always think I am just going to "check" your blog (like skim through pictures)and get off, but get sucked into reading everything.
You are so funny!
My dad does the whole praking lot tour as well. (and I also get to hear grandma's version of how she had to walk "all the way" to the hospital while having contractions. A whole block!! ha ha! Love it!)

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure if my favorite part is the picture of the puppet show...or the pictures of miles and sonny where they're happy in one and then miles is crying in the next.

but what is most perplexing to me is that you CAME TO NC AND WE DIDN'T EAT CHICKEN. i'm sorry, what? that can't happen again.

xo

melissa said...

I know! I'm sorry I was so negligent. If it makes you feel any better, you're on a long list of people we didn't get a chance to see but wish we could have. Now that I know you care, I'll make more of an effort next time.

Laura Crenshaw Chabo said...

All I have to say about this post is... Why is Jeff in a Duke sweatshirt!? I thought he went to Carolina?!
that's all.

melissa said...

Booooooo! He most definitely did NOT go to Carolina. He went to Duke for medical school and while he was there we lived in Chapel Hill. I think most of our ward thought he went to Carolina, too.

FallingTree said...

I'm wearing a Duke sweatshirt because I didn't want to get my good NC State sweatshirt dirty. Go Wolfpack!