Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Family Band

The kids and I decided to start a band.  I can't decide which picture to use as our album cover.  While you take a look and think it over, I'm going to give you an update on how I did with my goals for the year.

One of my goals was to post a weekly photography assignment.  While I neglected to label all of my photography assignments on my blog I definitely took pictures and posted them at least once a week.  I feel like my pictures are improving and I've had fun learning some new editing techniques.  I'll tell you my secret: Picnik.  It's free, it's user-friendly, and it's good fun. 

My second goal for the year was to plant something and not kill it.  When my mother-in-law Patti came to visit last April, she was kind enough to buy us flowers for our many planters.  She taught me how to choose plants and how to plant them.  Not all of them survived the heatwave this summer, but as of this morning my geraniums were still blooming and beautiful.  Eight months!  Geranium high-five!

I wanted to get my basement cleaned out and organized.  Jeff has this adorable little thing he does where he'll decide something bothers him and he can't stand it anymore and he won't sleep until it's fixed.  He decided one day that the basement needed to be organized and got 'er done.  Thank you, Jeff, for taking care of that goal for me.

I set a goal to teach my kids to tie their shoes.  Harrison learned to tie his shoes in April!  I haven't attempted this, yet, with Chloe but I mistakenly bought a pair of lace-up boots for her for the Winter so I think we'll have to give it a go.

Another goal I had was to make sure the dishes were done every night so I wouldn't have to wake up to a messy kitchen.  After eight years of marriage, Jeff and I have finally worked out a system for getting the dishes done each night.  I still hate doing the dishes, but I love waking up to a clean kitchen.

My last goal was to lose ten pounds.  I DID IT!  Secretly that's the purpose of this post.  With the holidays coming up, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep it all off, but I wanted to get credit for accomplishing this goal.  In all honesty, I didn't think I was going to be able to do it.  As of May, I had actually gained four pounds.  Also that month, I got the worst haircut I've ever had in my life.  (Two words: Ramona Quimby.)  So not only was my hair the ugliest it has ever been, but I was the heaviest I've ever been (without being pregnant).  I decided since I couldn't do anything about my hair (except wear it in a ponytail for the past six months) I should attempt to lose a few pounds.

My sister, Jen, recommended a great book called The Perfect Recipe For Losing Weight and Eating Great by Pam Anderson (not the "actress").  It was nice to hear weight loss advice from someone who likes food because I also am a fan of food.  Her recipes are delicious.  Check it out.


20 Wisecracks:

Mom said...

The first thing I noticed was how fabulous you look! Way to go! These are truly amazing pictures - who is the photographer? You all are born rock stars, but I think my favorite is the janitor at the end.:)

melissa said...

Thanks, Mom! I'm the photographer (self-timer). I forgot to mention that the neighbor kid jumped in the last picture.

Anne said...

You are dead sexy--when I first saw your picture I thought, "My she looks thin."

You're the only person I know who keeps New Year's Resolutions.

Rock on!

wendy holt said...

way to go! I also thought "man her legs are super skinny."...or is that an editing trick? if it is, I want it.

Allison and Noah Riley said...

So... reading the four comments before mine, this is clearly not an original thought. I thought the same thing! You really look fabulous! Though I admit, it's a tough day to read this... since I opted for sleeping in even after swearing last night that I WOULD wake up for a workout :). Maybe I need to check into Ms. Anderson's advice. Thanks for the motivation!

allyn said...

so, i think a collage is in order. the scooter and broom and neighbor boy is classic.
second, you have lost weight even since august. amazing stick-to-it-ness. i have little self-control when it comes to diet and exercise. super sad, but you rocked it!

melissa said...

I can assure you that I have zero self-discipline and that's why Ms. Anderson's system worked for me.

Thanks for the kind words, folks! You're doing wonders for my self-esteem today.

Nicole said...

Oh, man! These photos are AWESOME! I'm so glad you got the band back together. I take it the neighbor kid is out of rehab. Everyone else said it, but you look hot. The hair, the outfits - pulling. it. off.

KQ said...

I'm jumping on the bandwagon (get it? band...wagon) and saying that when I saw that first picture of you, I thought you looked hot in those jeans. HOT. I'm just sayin'.

Congratulations on all your dreams coming true in 2010.

melissa said...

Sorry ladies, I'm spoken for. :)

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

You look AMAZING!! (and in that second picture, Harrison looks like Dracula. ha ha)
You look like some famous Country singer in that last picture. (but then the neighborhood boy had to come and "Ruin the ride." haha!)
Good job on 2010!! Can't wait to see next years goals.........

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

You look fabulous!! That was my first thought when I saw this post! My second was, man I need to go back to the gym..

Love the pictures and you have motivated me to set goals again!

See what a good influence you are Missy?

Meredith said...

Fantastic pictures! You will love these forever. And you do look great! I would never know you had a bad haircut.

Laura Crenshaw Chabo said...

To beat a dead horse, You look Fabulous, dahling! Super skinny! And kudos on keeping all those resolutions. By Feb 1st I usually can't even remember my resolutions. Also, for your book/movie thing, I googled 'children's books made into movies' and came up with tons of stuff. Maybe it'd give you a few ideas, too. :)

melissa said...

Laura, how nice to hear from you so many times today! :) I've found a few of those movie/book sites and they are, indeed, very helpful. Thanks!

I V Y said...

nawww haha

koryn said...

Ha! I did not even notice the infiltrating child until reading the other comments. I was absorbed in you storytelling. I love that you got such a response to your 10-lbs-lighter-self. We all recognize those moments with the scale (with or without the bad haircut, but that certainly adds to the drama). Thanks for reminding us it is all possible without becoming a crazy person in the process. I also looked up the book on amazon and loved what I read. It is on the way. Thanks to two of my favorite red-haired book reviewers and people.

Unknown said...

me too! I thought it too, you look stunning!!! Picture number 1 is AWESOME! Way to go on all of your achievements this year hot mamma! :D

Anonymous said...

who is that random kid?

and, i'm sorry...miles with a broom is HILARIOUS.

that should DEFINITELY be the album cover. MOS DEF.

xo

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

Where can I purchase tickets to hear "the band"? I will even bring an extra sweater for you to wear if you are in a pinch....