Friday, January 7, 2011

Just Us Girls . . . and Miles

Now that Harrison is back at school Chloe and I are enjoying our girl time again.  Yesterday I told her we should paint our nails.  She said, "Yes!  Paint our nails while having a tea party!  And we can dress each other up like princesses!"  I wonder how long she's been holding that in.

Poor Miles.  He's about one rainy afternoon away from getting a complete makeover from Chloe.  It's inevitable.

We finished a couple of books about girls last month.  The first was Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary.  There are only six chapters so we finished it really quickly.  Both kids absolutely loved it.  They could both relate to the love/hate relationship you can have with your siblings.  We watched the movie Ramona and Beezus (they switched the names in the title to make it clear that this story was more about Ramona) and it's adorable.  The storyline isn't from the book, but the characters are all there.  In the movie, the dad loses his job and they have to move.  I don't think that's something my kids had ever considered before and I think it worried them.  For the most part, they just thought it was funny and I wouldn't mind watching it a few more times.  (Hello, John Corbett and Josh Duhamel!)

The other book we read was Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo.  This is the second book we've read by her and I absolutely love her writing.  Because of Winn-Dixie is the story of a little girl named Opal who lives with her preacher father in a trailer park in Florida.  One day she finds a dog a the local Winn-Dixie and claims he belongs to her.  He helps her make friends and turn the town into The Glad Town and stuff.  Throughout the whole book Opal pines for her mom who left when Opal was three years old.  Apparently, Mom was a drinker.  (Whoa.  Story time just got real, ya'll.)  The movie was a bit slow and I don't think they would have sat through five minutes of it if they hadn't read the book first.  It might be better for older children.

So now we're back to our usual schedule and my body is trying to cope with the lack of constant sugar rush.  At least I have tea parties and makeovers to keep my mind off of candy. 

Mmmmmm. . . candy . . .

7 Wisecracks:

KQ said...

I love the pictures of Chloe, but that precious picture of Miles is killin' me! I laughed so hard at that. He's too cute and so agreeable. :)
On that day that he finally gets his princess makeover, just tell him that you know a girl who's husband and his twin brother used to have Ken dolls so that they could play Barbies with their sister.

melissa said...

No way! That's hilarious. My friends and I were talking the other day about how girls with big brothers play with trucks and boys with big sisters play dress-up. They all just want to play with the older kids.

Jess said...

The "Ramona and Beezus" movie is actually a combination of several books. It uses storylines from like 5 books and is pretty faithful. I really enjoyed it also.
You guys must have such fun, girly afternoons. :)

wendy holt said...

love these! Your kids are so darling.

melissa said...

Thanks, Jess. I wondered about that. I'll have to check out the rest of the Ramona books.

allyn said...

poor chloe. she has been holding that in for a while, hasn't she? did she ever mention playing the wii at all this week?

yesterday i was trying to get noah to do something i needed him to do, like follow me out of the mall. i told him he could watch a movie. he got excited. i asked him what he wanted to watch. he got a cheeky/excited look on his face and said, "little mermaid".

melissa said...

Whenever I think of Noah he has a cheeky/excited look on his face. :)