Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Goodbye, Grandpa

This is my Grandpa Lloyd.  He passed away on January 29th at the age of 93.  He was an amazing photographer, had awesome hair, and was the funniest person I've ever known.  He's kind of a big hero of mine.  This past Saturday, his family came together to honor his life and bury his body.  It was a very emotional weekend.  We laughed and cried and laughed so hard we cried. 
My grandpa served in the Army in WWII.  (That's Lloyd on the far right.)  He was given a very beautiful military burial.

The soldier in the background is playing "Taps."

My grandpa kept a wonderful record of his life.  He wrote in his journal every day until a series of strokes made it difficult for him to write.  He took pictures of everything. He taught us that cameras aren't just for special occasions and formal family portrait sessions.  The times we will treasure the most are the everyday moments of life.  My family and I have spent hours looking through his photo albums remembering these moments.  I'm so grateful for my memories of him.  Even though he is no longer with us, his influence will continue for generations to come. 

8 Wisecracks:

Catherine said...

I am so sorry for your whole family! His hair IS awesome! Love the pictures too.

wendy holt said...

What a sweet post. I am sure your Grandpa was a delight! I cry everytime I hear taps.

Jen said...

What a great picture of Grandpa and Harrison/Chloe!
Thanks so much for posting these. If you have any other treasures like the leg photo, please share!

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

That leg photo is great! It made me smile.
Sorry about your grandpa. I don't think I have a single memory of seeing your grandpa without his camera. He was quite the picture taker.
Military burials are the most beautiful burials.

elizabeth said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Grandpa. I am so sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. He seems like an amazing man. Darn good looking, too.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a Wonderful Man and you are right all of those wonderful traits have been passed on! So sorry for your loss. Thanks heavens we know families are eternal!

Annette Bailey said...

Your tribute is so beautiful it makes me sad I never knew him.