Friday, February 18, 2011

"Ya ever wish you could go back in time?"

As I mentioned before, I found a few treasures among my grandpa's photos.  Pictures of me I've never seen before and some that I've loved forever.  I'll share the cute ones today and save the awkward pictures for when I'm in a better mood.  (I spent the night cleaning up vomit and diarrhea.  I have no sense of humor today.) 

This picture proves that I've always been seductive and Katy's always been good at Peek-a-boo.

We recently finished reading Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time.  I remember one of my grade school teachers reading this to my class and a few years ago my book club read it.  It still makes my mind itch.  There are some pretty deep concepts for kids to grasp and I'm pretty sure every one of them flew right over Chloe's head.  Harrison understood about half of what was going on and I understood a little bit more than that.  I love the themes involved (turning our weaknesses into strengths, the privilege of making our own choices, like and equal are not the same thing, etc).  I think my kids were just a bit young for this one, but they still enjoyed it.

I'm a horrible swimmer.  I blame this guy.  I'm sure he was a nice man, but he sure looks like a pedophile.

One of the benefits of our little book club is that if the kids don't fully understand the book, the movie can often make the story more clear.  The movie was produced by Disney as a miniseries back in 2003.  It's Canadian.  Need I say more?  Probably.  The acting is fine, the special effects aren't too bad, but the bad guys are laughable.  It's probably just scary enough for kids, which is the point, right?  We rented it from our library and Chloe watched it every day for a week. 
My Aunt Candace was a ballerina.  She gave birth to four boys and no girls so she passed all of her costumes down to us.  That's Makenzie's Over-the-Moon face.


Not only am I a baby in this picture, but my grandmother is sitting on her kitchen floor.  This is a very rare photo.  It's probably worth millions.

I'm not sure whose car that is, but I love that Grandpa took my picture instead of telling me to get down.  Wish I could be that easygoing with my kids.  I can't wait to be a grandma.

6 Wisecracks:

allyn said...

i have never seen that picture of you with gma, nor have i ever seen her sit/play on her kitchen floor. it is a beautiful shot.
i grabbed a wrinkle in time for some road trip we were on. the kids didn't get into it. the author was the reader and she has an old lady voice, so, i guess no one wants to pay attention to an old lady.

Unknown said...

I am pretty sure that the girl swimming in the pool is Chloe. Nice try. You can't trick me.

So fun to see some pictures of when you were young.

Jen said...

It's the Datsun 210. Nobody would have cared if you were on top of that car.

wendy holt said...

These are so fun!

Unknown said...

Melissa,
I am so thrilled that you actually found some photos of yourself as a baby/child!!! Ever since you told me the tragedy of you having only one or two baby photos, I've felt it my moral obligation to document my younger children as much as the first two. How wonderful to find these wonderful surprises among your grandfathers things. Priceless.
And so is that look you are giving the camera in the black and white photo. Already you that sparkle in your eye...
I love reading your blog, Melissa. It always makes my day.

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

That "seductive" picture cracked me up. You even have your fingers slightly parting......like you should have a cigarette in them. ha ha!

Way cute pictures!