Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I Heart School


Harrison and Chloe started school yesterday.  Best.  Day.  Ever.  When Harrison was starting Kindergarten I remember getting him prepared by teaching him to read and write and count and color and such.  That first day when I dropped him off it suddenly hit me that I should have taught him more about how to take care of himself in the world.  I hadn't taught him enough about making friends or dealing with bullies (he'd always been the bully himself) and I felt like a failure.  He figured it out the hard way, which in some cases was the only way to learn it, anyway. 

As Chloe's first day of school approached I considered her readiness to take on the world.  She reads, she writes, she's cute and fun to be with, she's a wiz at making friends, and she's spent her whole life being teased by her older brother.  She was ready.  I still cried after I dropped her off yesterday, but not because I was worried about her.  We've been together every day for the last five years and I'm going to miss her.  I'm so grateful she has a big brother around to show her the ropes.

5 Wisecracks:

Mom said...

Thanks for sharing! I thought about your all day yesterday and how the first day went. Looks like Miss Chloe was well prepared and that her mother made it through. :)

KQ said...

Congrats to you and Chloe! I'm not looking forward to that day.

wendy holt said...

Yay for Chloe!! Now, if Harrison would have worn a Star Wars T-Shirt he would have a proper school uniform. :)

Nicole said...

I need to be talked down about once every hour, so thanks. The thing that is getting to me the most is the part about missing my girl. You're right - every day for five years is kind of a long time to spend with a kid. :)

Laura Crenshaw Chabo said...

I totally did the same thing this year! Got all misty dropping Sophia off for first grade and realized that this year I'm not selfishly going to miss her, I'm crying because I'm proud of who she is. Best. Day. Ever.