Thursday, April 19, 2012

Zookeeper, Zookeeper, What Do You Hear?

The weather has been beautiful this week.  I mean, it looks beautiful outside.  The pollen in the air makes it impossible to actually breathe outside, but it sure looks pretty.  I decided it was too nice not to head out on an adventure, so I took the kids to the zoo. 

This is the face of a little boy riding a carousel for the millionth time.

Miles' favorite book right now is Eric Carle's "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?"  He loved seeing all the animals from the book in real life.

"I hear a flamengo fluting in my ear."

"I hear a lion roaring in my hear" because I woke his wife up from her nap and she's pretty ticked.

I don't know what sound wrinkly giraffes make.  Anyone?

"Blue fish, blue fish, what do you hear?"

"I hear a big sister jib-jabbering in my ear."

I loved seeing the animals, but I paid for it for the rest of the day.  I've discovered my one beef with St. Louis: the weather always sucks.  The winters are horribly cold without the fun of snow, the summers are unbearably hot and humid, the fall and spring are both pretty, but they irritate my allergies so much that I can't spend much time outside. 

At least the zoo is free.  And the art museum.  And the history museum.  And Grant's Farm.  And Purina Farms.  And the Muny.  And the Arch is here.  And the Cardinals are awesome.  Nevermind.  I love you, St. Louis!  Let's never, ever fight again!

2 Wisecracks:

Patti said...

I've never heard one but I think giraffes bleat. Sorry about the allergies. I've finally given up on the mascara, even for church. I rub it off so what's the point. I think St. Louis and all it's awesome stuff is a fair trade for allergies and yucky weather. I'm glad you two made up.

wendy holt said...

If it makes you feel any better, I have to pay to go to the Hogle Zoo tomorrow.