Thursday, January 24, 2013

Happy Birthday, Slim!

Today is my darling Jeff's 33rd birthday.  He once played Slim in a production of "Oklahoma."  (You remember Slim.  He's the one who says "Two bits!")  Anywho, in November of 2009, Jeff looked like this:

That was the day he invented Apple Pie Sundae in a Wine Glass.  Mmmmm.   When Jeff turned 30 a couple of months later, he took a good hard look in the mirror and realized he would not be reprising his role of Slim if he didn't lose a few pounds.  So he lost ten pounds.  Then a few months later, he lost ten more.  Being a bit of an overachiever, he kept going.  Today he is 50 pounds lighter than he was on his 30th birthday.

No more apple pie in a wine glass for Slim.  In fact, he rarely partakes in our desserts.  His self-discipline is truly inspiring.  Let's take a look at some before and after shots.  Those are always fun.

What's that, you say?  Too distracted by the adorable baby in the "before" photo?  Me, too. 

How's that?  Better?  Want to know the secret to Jeff's success? 
 
In addition to eating (much much) less, Jeff started running.  He ran his first race back in November and didn't embarrass me.  He also started lifting weights, so he's super thin AND ridiculously fit.
 
Slim Jeff is a constant reminder to me that hard work pays off and weight loss takes discipline and patience.  Thanks for the thinspiration, my love!
 
Years ago when I was a teenager at Girl's Camp, a few of the girls where fighting over who liked Jeff more.  (This was years before I realized that person was me.)  One of the girls declared that she liked Jeff more because she liked him even back when he was fat.  And that's true love.
 
 
Happy Birthday, Jeff! 
Fat or thin, you're my favorite thing.

15 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

He looks like Wilson from "House"! Good job, Jeff. Happiest of birthdays today. :-)

KQ said...

Happy Birthday, Jeff! I think the weight loss makes you look younger too. Way to be awesome, man!

Tammy and Alvin said...

I love before and after pictures. Amazing! Way to go, Jeff! You look at least 3 years younger. I wasn't one of those Girl's Camp girls fighting over you, but I can definitely vouch that those conversations were had. I can even make a guess at who made that comment. :) Happy Birthday!

Thinspiration! love it!

elizabeth said...

Way to go Jeff!! Happy birthday!

Mallen said...

I'm very impressed! Weight loss is not easy at all. Happy birthday to Jeff.

P.S. I'm sure Mr. Paul Newman would also have been impressed.

Josh and Diana Lee said...

Wow! Super impressive. Way to go! Have a great birthday!

amylouwhosews said...

Woot Woot! You make me laugh! Great post! And awesome thinspiration!

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

Wow! Just............wow!
Good job Jeff!! (oh, and happy birthday)

Jess said...

Just the inspiration needed today- Cole has signed up for the gym to lose some weight. Congratulations and Happy Birthday to Jeff!

Katy said...

I think Jeff looks like Peter from Fringe. so you really are Pacey's girlfriend forever!

melissa said...

Thanks, Nicole and Katy for explaining my life-long crushes on Robert Sean Leonard and Joshua Jackson.

allyn said...

THAT IS who he reminds me of. I have been trying to figure it out for years. Jeff looks great. Very prideful feelings for him. I just hope he doesn't keep loosing. He does not need to. Also, I love that he let you take portraits of him looking dapper. I can't really imagine him going for that, but I guess he did. Happy 33rd!

melissa said...

He did refer to them as "JCPenney catalogue pictures", but he was happy to oblige. :)

Unknown said...

I love, love, love this inspiring post. He doesn't eat sweets anymore? And he can smile about it? That is something to admire. I am big and fat right now and can barely get dressed in the morning, not to mention tie my shoes. But--I DO get to have dessert.

Perhaps my husband will make a blog post about me someday when I slim down? Lets hope not. :)

I loved your post. It is a great tribute to a determined man. Jeff, I hope you had a great birthday this week. And when I eat the rest of the leftovers from my birthday cheesecake I'll think of you. :)

melissa said...

Chelsea, he does have the occasional dessert. As I said, it's rare. Except on his birthday when we eat french silk pie like vultures.