Monday, May 6, 2013

Children of Song

When I was in middle school, I was in a singing group called Children of Song.  We sang in malls and for old people and stuff and in my head we were very cool.  We were not.  That doesn't really have anything to do with this post.  I just wanted to throw that out there as a public service announcement for all of you parents of middle-schoolers.

Every year at my kids' school, each grade presents a musical concert for their parents and uninterested siblings.  Chloe's first grade concert was last week and Harrison's was back in November.  Somehow I neglected to blog about it.  Probably because it was on Chloe's birthday and while Jeff was in Hawaii and few days before I left for Vermont.  Cut me some slack, man.  [Miles has been ending every sentence with "man."  Turns out I do that.  A lot.]
Harrison and his awesome teacher, Mr. T.  I pity the fool who teaches fourth grade!  

Harrison's concert was all about the U-S of A.  They performed a couple of days after the presidential election and I was feeling very lukewarm about America that week.  By the time it was over I was on my feet singing The Star Spangled Banner at the top of my lungs.  (They told us to stand and join in, so it wasn't weird.)  It reminded me that America is awesome.  It also reminded me that our video camera situation was the worst and I should have brought snacks for Miles.  So, sorry about the crappy quality of the video and Miles whining in the background.

After that concert I decided we needed a camera specifically for videos.  We got one for Christmas and have had a lot of fun with it.  My one beef with the camera is that it didn't have a zoom button.  That would have come in handy during Chloe's concert.  

Her program was full of nursery rhymes and it was adorable.  This song is sung all over the school by teachers and students, alike.  You'll see why.  It's super catchy.

Sorry if you and your children end up singing that chorus nonstop.  So.  Very.  Sorry.
Chloe and her wonderful teacher, Mrs. E.  Isn't it great when you know your children are being taken care of so well during the day?

Fourth and fifth graders at my kids' school have the option of performing in the Spotlight Singers group.  They have to come early to school twice a week for rehearsals, but they get to perform two concerts a year and sing for old people and stuff.  Bonus!  Harrison's spring Spotlight Singers concert was right after Chloe's first grade concert, so Miles got to sit twice as long that night.  Woohoo!

In between concerts, Jeff was messing around with the video camera and found the zoom button.  Nice.  


Once again Harrison did his ventriloquist act. How DOES he sing a whole program without moving his mouth?  Amazing!

Their music teacher, Mrs. Locke, is retiring this year and we're all going to miss her very much.

3 Wisecracks:

Catherine Plautz said...

I also thought I was "all that" being in a chorus in the 5th grade. I remember coming back after high school seeing my little brother sing in the same chorus and feeling so cool. Seriously?!

Your picture of Mr. T and Harrison does not capture his left hand to the extent where we see a ring. If he is unmarried I am moving to St. Louis and marrying this dude. We will have chorus children and pity all the fools who hate on us.

melissa said...

Ha! As far as I know, he's not married. I remember the first time I met him I was expecting a stout man with a mustache and glasses. You know, just like EVERY male teacher I ever had.

Patti said...

That was really fun to watch Harrison and Chloe's performances! Thanks for the still of Chloe so I could find her in the video.