Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Root, Root, Root For the CARDINALS!

One of the perks of being a chorus nerd is that sometimes you get to travel to cool places like Europe or Colonial Williamsburg.  Of course the downside is that you often have to deal with in-fighting, crazy cheerleading coaches, and sing-offs with rival choruses.  But that which doesn't kill us makes us sing louder, folks.


Last week Harrison had the opportunity to sing "God Bless America" at a Cardinals game with his singing group.  Jeff was kind enough to stay home with the other kids while I went to the game to live vicariously through my son. 
 
I realized as I sat alone in my seat during all of the pre-game presentations that I've never actually been to a Cardinals game in time to hear the national anthem and watch all 20 ceremonial first pitches.  Not really missing much there, but they played the song "Meet Me in St. Louis" while they showed Cardinals highlights on the jumbotron and I may have teared up a bit.  I love this city.
 
 
Time to crank up your computer speakers and listen to the Spotlight Singers!  (No, really.  Turn them up.  WAY up.)
 



We had the pleasure of sitting in "Big Mac Land", so we all got free headbands and koozies.
  Jealous much?

Harrison saw his bestie, Ben, and Ben's mom getting to their seats and asked if Ben could come sit by us.  He went to ask Ben and then came back and said, "He can't come and sit with us because he and his mom are on a little date kind of thing, like we used to do."  I said, "Umm. . . SO ARE WE."
Who wouldn't want to hang with the coolest mom in the stadium?  Come on! 

Well, to be honest, the game was super slow (even for baseball) and after a while I got tired of him asking for more snacks so we went and sat next to Ben and his mom, Anne.  That's when things got crazy.
 By the end of the 7th inning, the Cardinals still hadn't scored and it was getting late.   I told Harrison I'd get him a treat if we could just go home.  As we got into the car, the Cardinals scored their traditional "Point to finally score the second Melissa leaves the stadium".  Every time.  Every.  Single.  Time.

3 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

Harrison didn't even know he was on a date kinda thing?! St Louis looks good on you. Too bad you are the Cardinal Curse.

Jess said...

"Um, so are we." Cracks me up. What a neat experience for Harrison (and you, vicariously).

Tammy and Alvin said...

Go Cardinals! They're actually off to a pretty good start, so it's quite unfortunate that you happened to go to one of their losses. I'm very sad that I missed the one time all year that the Redbirds are in DC. I need to find another way to make it to one of their games. In the meantime, thanks for letting me enjoy vicariously. Always love the Cardinals posts.