Thursday, June 27, 2013

June Book Review: Every Thing On It

June's Mommy and Me Book Club book is Every Thing On It by Shel Silverstein.  Chloe was shocked (SHOCKED, I tell you) to wake up June 25th and see this HUGE book on her headboard.  Maybe Santa's elves wanted to expand Chloe's horizon's a little and introduce her to the wonderful world of poetry.  Or maybe all they had to choose from at the last minute was the seriously weak selection of children's books at evil, evil Walmart.  We may never know the reason, but that morning Chloe brought it to me with a look of apprehension.  How could she possibly read such a long book?

Then I explained that Shel Silverstein is beloved and he's written some of the most delightful poems ever written and he writes his poems especially for children and poetry is awesome and the book had lots of pictures.  SO, she gave it a try.  And she loved it!  She sat giggling through the whole thing and couldn't wait to share every poem with me.  It helped her earn mega points in the library's summer reading program.  Her prizes included a giant green ball and a coupon for a slush at Sonic, so that's where we went for our book discussion.
Did you know they have peanut butter bacon milkshakes at Sonic.  I haven't tried it.  Anyway . . . Every Thing On It is the latest collection of poems and drawings from Shel Silverstein.  The author died in 1999, but this book was published in 2011.  What the WHAT?  This is one of two or three works he's had published posthumously.  I hope nobody finds my poems after I die and publishes them.  Great.  Just one more thing to worry about.

The Clock Man
 
"How much will you pay for an extra day?"
The clock man asked the child.
"Not a penny," the answer came,
"For my days are as many as smiles."
 

"How much will you pay for an extra day?"
He asked when the child was grown.
"Maybe a dollar or maybe less,
For I've plenty of days of my own."
 
 
"How much will you pay for an extra day?
He asked when the time came to die.
"All of the pearls in all of the seas,
And all of the stars in the sky."

Chloe and I both enjoyed the poems very much, but agreed that some of the drawings were creepy.  I like how there's something just a little bit "off" about Shel Silverstein's work.  I like how he doesn't speak down to children.  Chloe learned that poetry can be funny and that it doesn't have to rhyme. 

Yesees and Noees
The Yesees said yes to anything
That anyone suggested.
The Noees said no to everything
Unless it was proven and tested.
So the Yesees all died of much too much
And the Noees all died of fright,
But somehow I think the Thinkforyourselfees
All came out all right.
 
On Monday we took the kids out for slushes at Sonic and then to the park to play big ball soccer.

Grumbling
Some people's stomachs gurgle and growl,
Some people's stomachs rumble and howl.
My stomach just begins to shout,
"No more ice cream and sauerkraut."
 
Here's the poem Chloe and I liked the most:
 
Years from Now
Although I cannot see your face
As you flip these poems awhile,
Somewhere from some far-off place
I hear you laughing--and I smile.
 

4 Wisecracks:

Tammy and Alvin said...

Wow! Your summer reading program prizes rock! Love our library and our librarians. They even have nice concerts/puppet shows/ etc. during the summer. But they sure could learn a thing or two about cool prizes. I want a free slush!

ps. a poem for Chloe
It's just not normable
how cute and adorable
you are in photables

(maybe I should read this book before I write any more poems!)

Patti said...

I remember when this book came out. He had hundreds of poems and drawings left when he passed away. I say, keep 'em coming, to whoever is in charge of them.

Katy said...

I love that you've kept up with this book club. I always have good intentions and start strong, but then life gets in the way and too many things make me forget about my good intentions. You're an awesome mother and Chloe will remember this fondly when she's grown up.

Unknown said...

I love it. Of course I love it...it is poetry. This brings good memories of our poetry days in Chapel Hill.

By the way, I DO have one of your poems, and I am not afraid to publish it after you die. :)