Sunday, September 22, 2013

September Book Review: Anne of Green Gables

This month for our Mommy and Me Book Club we read Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.  The book we read was adapted and illustrated to make it appropriate for ages 7 and up.  I've always loved the story of orphan girl Anne Shirley and the wonderful experiences she has when she moves to Prince Edward Island and is adopted by brother and sister Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert who run a farm named Green Gables.  Anne has a tendency to talk too much and get in a lot of trouble, but she always learns from her mistakes and has matured quite a bit by the end of the book.  Chloe thought the book was delightful and loved reading about Anne.

Yesterday my friends celebrated their anniversary with a picnic out on their parents' farm in Gray Summit, MO.  I thought that sounded like the perfect place to celebrate our book.  Chloe had snap peas for the first time.  So . . . big day.

She also got to eat ice cream at the picnic.  Just like Anne!

Emily, Ruby, Anthony, Nora, Laura, and Mandi.
The three women at this table are three of my favorite people in the world.  Every Friday we get together at one of our houses and finish each other's projects and clean each other's houses while our children run amuck.  I'm always amazed by how much we can accomplish in just two hours.  It's such a pleasure to serve with them and laugh with them and occasionally cry with them each week.  They are truly kindred spirits.   (Anthony, Ruby, and Nora are cool, too.)

That's Nora's "Super-Happy-to-Be-at-a-Picnic-With-Ellie" face.  I dig it.

After taking some pictures out by the barn (Thanks, Laura!), Chloe and I cheered everyone on during a game of kickball, jumped on a trampoline, bagged up some vegetables, and headed home.  On the way to and from the picnic, Chloe watched the movie of Anne of Green Gables in the car.  Every time I heard the theme music, I started to get teary.  Is there anything better than introducing your children to your favorite things?

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” --Anne Shirley

7 Wisecracks:

Patti said...

I have such happy memories of reading all of the Anne of Green Gables books with Amy and Brian. Wonderful choice!

Tammy and Alvin said...

Anne of Green Gables always makes me smile and think of you and Heather G. I remember having an Anne movie marathon at Heather's and you quoting practically the entire movie. :)

I'd love to know details from the cover to help me find the same adapted version for Miriam to read.

melissa said...

I believe Santa's elves found this version at Target in the $1 section, along with a large selection of classic children's novels. This adaptation was just 175 pages and a picture every three pages, or so. (The full version I have has 309 pages and no pictures.) On the back of the book, it says it's for reading level 3.2, Ages 7 and up.

Someone just told me that Barnes and Noble also has an easy version.

Jess said...

Mercy me- Anne of Green Gables in the $1 section? Sounds like time to hit Target. I would LOVE to introduce my little ones to Anne, but I thought I'd have to wait until they were 11 or so. Woohoo!
Those are fabulous pictures, by the way.

Unknown said...

I just barely watched this with my girls last Friday. I was so happy that they loved it as much as I did. Introducing my girls to Anne was a fulfillment of a dream I had ever since I knew I was pregnant with girls.

Another thing I was so happy to share with them was Little House on the Prairie. They doubted me when I told them these little pioneer shows were cool but it only took one episode to win them over.

We must be kindred spirits to introduce this to our girls on the same week. Of course, I knew we were kindred spirits a long time ago... :)

Emily said...

The Anne soundtrack is one of my favorite. Kind of like you're one of my favorite.

Now, see?

See what I did there?

That English degree was NOT wasted. Just like you're not wasted...space.

melissa said...

You're a treasure, Emily.