Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Geneology--He Is Doing It!

It may be hard to see from this picture, but every one of the leaves on this family tree contains a name, date, and birthplace of one of Harrison's ancestors.  As an extra credit project for school, the students in his class were asked to make a family tree that (if possible) went back all the way to their grandparents.  Harrison decided that was for chumps and he went back to his fourth great-grandparents.  Booyah!  The amazing thing is, he could have gone even further back.  He had a great time talking to his grandparents on the phone and learning about his ancestors.  For real.  I've never seen him so excited about a school project.  He loved learning where his ancestors came from (Germany, England, Denmark, and Sweden, primarily) and how he fit into that big family picture.  I loved that all of the information we needed was easy to access on Family Search.

An article in the New York Times last March talked about a study conducted regarding children's ability to overcome challenges and live happy lives.  What they found was that "the more children knew about their family’s history, the stronger their sense of control over their lives, the higher their self-esteem and the more successfully they believed their families functioned."  I'm grateful to be able to tell my children stories of their family history, because my parents shared those stories with me.  (That's probably why I'm, like, SUPER confident, too.)

6 Wisecracks:

Nicole said...

I love it! I read that same article. What a treasure to know the stories and to gain confidence from them. Not to mention extra credit!

melissa said...

I know! You told me about it, so I had to look it up. Good stuff.

Patti said...

That is quite a tree! Very impressive family, I must say.

A Woman of a Certain Age said...

That is an AWESOME tree! I read that same article recently and plan to use it in a talk at our Family History Conference later this month.

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

I read that article too! I know my kids will get plenty of stories and see lots of pictures of their ancestors. Hopefully that can balance out some of my mess ups as a parent and give them a good boost of confidence!

Katy said...

Harrison is adorable and this tree looks like the one I want to design into a blanket.