Friday, December 6, 2013

A Happy Day for Chloe

On Saturday, November 30th, our lovely little girl was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It was a day she has been looking forward to for a very long time and we're so happy she has chosen to "stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places."
Chloe was the only one getting baptized that day, so we were able to plan the program ourselves.  My dad and Chloe's former primary teacher gave wonderful talks.  Chloe really wanted to sing "When I Am Baptized", so I found an arrangement that Chloe, Harrison, Patti, and I could sing while my mom accompanied us.  It was very sweet.
As I was trying to figure out the program, I asked Jeff if he'd like to do anything.  He said, "I'll just baptize her."  Ha!  I suppose that's enough.
That turned out to be harder than it sounds.  Did I mention he can't bend his left leg?  He decided that if he lost his balance, he'd just go ahead and take a dive. 
Luckily, as he said, Chloe is very buoyant and it all went well.  I'm so grateful he was able to baptize her himself.
 
Our congregations (or wards) are determined geographically and our boundaries were recently changed.  We're part of a new ward and Chloe was baptized on a holiday weekend.  We weren't sure if anyone was going to show up.  We were overwhelmed by the love and support shown to Chloe by members of both our new and old wards.  Thank you all so much for sharing this special day with us!
 
And thank you to Chloe's grandparents for making the journey to St. Louis for our little girl and for wearing red.  It really balances this picture nicely.  Well done!
 
Chloe was named after a dear friend of our families named Chloe Hodge.  Sister Hodge was a delightful and inspiring woman who had great faith in Jesus Christ.  When she died, she left our Chloe her scriptures.  We decided to save them for Chloe until she turned eight and was baptized.  She was so happy to have them and I know there were many people smiling down on her that day.  We're so grateful for Chloe's kind spirit and her desire to do good.

3 Wisecracks:

Amy Maxwell said...

Love this, Melissa! I was wondering how Jeff had managed the baptizing post-surgery. What a happy day!

Patti said...

The day was as lovely as the girl!

Tammy and Alvin said...

Congratulations, Chloe! This post made me get watery eyes. I love Chloe Hodge. How special to have her scriptures.