Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Candy Shop Runner

A couple of weeks ago I read a book that I knew Harrison would like.  The problem is, Harrison never never ever reads books that I recommend to him.  It's weird.  Anyway, I told him that we should start a book club where we give each other a book to read and then we go out and discuss them.  He was all for it.  (Winning!) 



Yesterday we headed down to The Loop in St. Louis and found Miss M's Candy shop.  They had something I'd been looking for my whole life:
What?  I was curious, okay?

Harrison chose a giant package of Warheads, which he would later declare "a huge mistake." 

Since Miss M's didn't have anywhere for us to sit and discuss our books, we headed next door to Piccione Pastry (a delightful Italian pastry shop).

Harrison and I shared a chocolate cannoli and it was amazing.  The bacon chocolate was a huge disappointment.  Should you ever find yourself deciding between the two, take my advice: Leave the bacon chocolate.  Take the cannoli.

We both really liked both books, but I have to admit that it took me about 150 pages before I really got into The Candy Shop War.  I couldn't get over how stupid the kids were being.  (Don't take candy from strangers, duh!)  Also, based on the title, I was expecting something . . . cuter.  It's not cute.  It's creepy and bizarre.  But once I gave into that, I enjoyed it.  The Maze Runner is also creepy, but I was expecting that, so I was okay with it.  Harrison loved The Maze Runner and has already finished the whole series, which made our book discussion a little difficult.

Me: Do you think they sent the girl on purpose?
Harrison: Ummmmm. . . well, in the next book--
Me: NO, DON'T TELL ME!

He has also read the sequel to The Candy Shop War, so I had to keep him from spoiling that one, too. Most of all, it was just nice to spend one-on-one time together.  I think this is going to be fun.

That's his over-the-moon face.
(Also the face he makes when he's sucking on a Warhead.)

5 Wisecracks:

Patti said...

So many books written as a series, so little time! I just checked "try bacon chocolate" off my bucket list! Thanks for the tip.

Unknown said...

You're my favorite.
I started reading Alice in Wonderland to Opal tonight. She loved it. It is the version illustrated by Helen Oxenbury -- one of my favorite illustrators -- which is a must for Opal because "what use is a book without pictures?" She didn't want me to stop. I count this as a huge success seeing as the only other chapter books she's ever let me attempt reading to her were the Disney Fairies chapter books which were a little over her head. Alice will be a good one for her, since she has the story memorized anyway.
Also, I have never gotten past the first 50 pages of The Candy Shop War. I have attempted it at least three times. I'm glad I'm not alone in this.
AND I, too, have been sorely disappointed by chocolate covered bacon.
That is all.
p.s. That is not all because were you quoting The Godfather or You've Got Mail?

melissa said...

We're totally buddies, Mindi! (That's what Miles says whenever two people have something in common.) I was quoting The Godfather, which I finally saw recently so now I get all the You've Got Mail jokes. I definitely wouldn't have finished "The Candy Shop War" if I hadn't made a deal with my kid.

Melanie said...

Brilliant! And I actually like The Maze Runner. Well until the last book....oh wait...

Nicole said...

I'm so glad you and Harrison could agree on a way to read together. Your discussion made me laugh - too many spoilers. Hahahaha! (Also, I'm glad Bridget and I could introduce you to Clementine. We've been stealing from your Mommy & Me book club reading list for a while now.)