Tuesday, March 4, 2014

One Awesome Thing

My sister, Nicole, says she's trying to do one awesome thing a day.  I think it's a good plan.  I've been snowed in for two days and have been itching to do something awesome.  I decided today was the day I would face a few of my fears and go to the top of the Gateway Arch.

The Gateway Arch combines my fear of heights with my fear of being trapped in small spaces along with my fear of transportation by pulley system into one glorious trifecta.  But I knew I would regret it if I never went to the top.

I brought this guy along because he's not afraid of anything.  Also because it's illegal for me to leave him home alone.

"Hey, I have an idea!  Let's go to the top of that thing!"
There's usually a line out the door of people waiting to get to the top.  Not today.  There were no lines anywhere, so there was no time to change my mind.  So, if you're ever wondering when would be a good time to go to the top of the arch, try Tuesday morning when it's 20 degrees outside.

Here's the tiny pod we took to the top.  (Longest four minutes of my life.)

[Click to view larger.]
I was able to get this panoramic shot with my phone.  I love this city.

I also took a panoramic shot of the Mississippi River side.  I find this view much less impressive.  Try harder, Illinois.

Miles looking out the window.  (Obviously.)

So THERE, fear trifecta!


5 Wisecracks:

Patti said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU MELISSA!!

Nicole said...

I love this!!!! I waited all day for more photos of your visit to the Arch. They did not disappoint. "Try harder, Illinois" is the best. (To think my awesome thing today was getting a package mailed. Try harder, indeed.)

Unknown said...

I'm not going to lie, the arch is slightly terrifying to me as well. Good for you Melissa. Your such an inspiration! : )

allyn said...

That was something awesome!! That pod does NOT look inviting. I am so glad you faced your fears and did this. You totally would have regretted it and we would have all been mad that you never got these amazing pictures. Next time I am in St. Louis on Tuesday and 20 degrees I will do it!

Matt said...

The Arch is sweet. Would love to see that thing up close. Being born and raised in Las Vegas has left me a bit un-cultured (if that's a word).