Thursday, July 17, 2014

Playing in the Eye of the Hurricane

Every summer we meet up with Jeff's family at Topsail Island in North Carolina.  We always look forward to beach week, but this year we were REALLY excited because we were finally reunited with THIS guy.
We picked Jeff up from the airport and drove him to the beach for a much-deserved vacation.

Our kids were so happy to have constant playmates that week.  Here they are with their cousins playing a serious game of "Life."  It was kind of hilarious listening to them discuss the benefits of insurance and mortgages.

We're so grateful to Patti and Pops for insisting we spend time together every summer.

It was strange not to have any babies at the beach.  At three years old, Trent is the youngest grandchild.  Enjoy having that playhouse all to yourself, buddy.  Next year you have to share.

My nephew, Justin, listening to Chloe explain something delightful.

This was the part where we told the kids they could go on the beach, as long as they didn't get wet.  Tradition!

Jeff's sister, Amy, had a flouncy skirt on so I told her to dance on the beach so I could take a million pictures.  This was my favorite.

Miles was kind of a doo-doo head about playing on the beach.  He preferred to stay inside watching t.v. in his pajamas all day.  Good thing Bradley and Nathan were around.  Hooray for peer pressure!

The water was chasing him.  Silly water.

The beach brings out the best in Harrison.  He loves playing in the water with his dad.  And he was super cute walking around like a cowboy all week.  (Darn salt rash!)

This is my niece, Emmi, right after a huge wave crashed over her face.  There are two kinds of people in this world, and I'm the other kind.  Wish I could be more like Emmi.

Also wish I could be more like Chloe.  She's pretty amazing in those waves, too.

He had sand in his hair for a week after we got home.

On Thursday,  Hurricane Arthur came our way.  It was pretty scary, to be honest.  The wind was so loud and it shook the house.  I did not care for it, but I did like an excuse to buy lots of glow sticks.

Mani and Amy seemed totally fine with the prospect of getting destroyed by a hurricane, so I tried to play it cool, too.

This is me playing it cool.

The hardest part was that we couldn't play on the beach so we were left to stay inside watching the weather channel and waiting for our doom.

Grandma Win and Grandmother Carol preparing for their utter destruction.

Patti likes wind.  Like, a lot.

I took a few photos with my waterproof camera (because it was raining and there was sand blowing everywhere) and this is the best shot I got (which is not great).  Once we knew the danger was passed, people went out to play in the storm.  People are crazy.

The next day is was back to beach business as usual, which was great because it was Independence Day.  Happy Birthday, America!

I can't decide if I love this picture or hate it, so I'm going to go ahead and post it and then decide later.

I definitely like this one.  I think it truly captures just how pale I am next to my tan, redheaded daughter.

This boy kills me.

So much love.

We had fun lighting sparklers on the beach after watching the mass baptism of the family next door.  (Not a euphemism.)

Aeli told me to take a picture of her sparkler dance.  She's not in focus, but she totally stuck that pose.

I was able to get some shots of the kids looking moderately amused.  Nailed it.







My sister-in-law, Mani, took this pretty shot of us all together look patriotic and happy.

We had so much fun playing with everyone!  The kids cried when we left.  It's always so hard to say goodbye.


4 Wisecracks:

Ted said...

love these pictures! you rock it like a hurricane!

Patti said...

I haven't had a chance to write about the hurricane in my journal yet. I think I'm just going to say "See Melissa's blog." Perfectly documented! The picture of my mom and dad walking down the beach brought tears to my eyes. Little cutie pies!

allyn said...

That is the sweetest picture if patti and pops EVER. Frame it, man. And I love you playing hurricane Arthur cool. And I love your Audrey Hepburn hat. How do you get couple shots? Our couples were barely together long enough for a cute picture. Love amy and Jeff's.
Also love family reunions! Also love super long blog comments! With exclamation marks!!

kenzie said...

I love your patriotic family picture. It's so beautiful! Jealous that you got to be there for a super fun week. Even though it was during a hurricane.