Friday, July 25, 2014

Weather You're Right or Weather You're Wrong

We've lived here for about two months now and one thing I know for sure is that Arizonians are super proud of their heat.  When we tell someone we just moved here, the first question they always ask is, "How are you liking our heat?"  Yes, they call it "our heat."  ("And now it's my nausea.")  When I tell them it's not so bad without humidity, they then repeat the Arizona state motto: "Right.  It's a dry heat."  Then they tell me to just wait until monsoon season.  

I've spent the last 22 summers of my life sweating in unbearable heat.  Our Arizona heat is nothing compared to nasty North Carolina and St. Louis summers.  Therefore, I figured Arizonians were just a bunch of pansies, so I wasn't expecting much of "monsoon season."

Turns out they were not exaggerating that part.

The kids ran out and played in the rain like they had never seen rain before.  (Which is weird because they were literally in a hurricane a week before.)

This is right before Jeff came out and told them not to do that to the yard.  Jeff is very protective of the yard.  Don't mess, man.

The wind and rain was pretty crazy and then it stopped and was sunny again.  

The temperatures have been as high as 115 degrees this week, but it's really no big deal if you're inside.  If this is as bad as things get around here, I think I'm in love.  Someday I hope to be a big pansy who brags about "our heat."

2 Wisecracks:

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

I am visiting my family right now near salt lake and this morning at 9 am I saw that it was 80 degrees. I thought, it is probably 30 degrees hotter at my house right now! I just miss the cooling off period at night. The monsoon is no joke- it's when backyards become swimming pools!

Patti said...

It's all about perspective and comparison. Arizona weather is a lot better than St. Louis weather. Enjoy!