Friday, August 1, 2014

Little Swimmers

I enrolled the kids in two sessions of swim lessons this summer.  They do pretty well in the pool, but I thought it would be good for them to learn all the strokes formally and also spend a half hour a day not up in each other's grills.

For the first session, I enrolled Harrison in beginning diving.  On day three they started doing backwards dives.  That was his last day of beginning diving.  His front dive looks great, though.  

Miles kind of liked swim lessons.

His teachers liked him a lot.  His favorite game was called "Chop, Chop, Timber."  The teacher asks them what kind of tree they are and then they yell "Chop! Chop! Timber" and jump in the pool.

Miles would always choose a "Batman tree."

One of my favorite moments was when the P.A. system started playing "Dynamite" and I heard Miles yell across the pool, "THIS IS MY SONG!"  Then he got his teacher and the lifeguard to start dancing with him.  He's the party whip.

Miles' report card said he could move up from "Shrimps" to "Otters."  Sweet!

Chloe loved learning some basic strokes and totally rocked those goggles.  

You would be surprised how competitive this girl is.  

She looks so innocent, but she can totally take that shark boy.

I love how much effort she puts into everything she does.

For the second session, I had Harrison take an advanced class where he learned the butterfly and breaststroke.  They spent a half hour doing 100 IM's.  It was exhausting just watching him.

This is where he whispered at me to stop taking pictures, but he said it with a smile, so I'm pretty sure he was joking.

I loved watching him push himself.  I also loved watching him accidentally smack the other kids in the face when he would backstroke to the wall.

My little swimmers.

2 Wisecracks:

Emily said...

The party whip. That's my new favorite phrase.

Patti said...

Smart move, those swim lessons. I kept imagining the kid with the shark goggles to turn to Chloe and say, "I like Jaws. And Jaws 2."