Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A Grand Adventure

Everyone in the family had Labor Day off yesterday, so we decided the best way to honor . . . laborers (?) would be to go to the Grand Canyon.  Our kids kept asking what we would do at the Grand Canyon.  We tried to explain that it was just lots of walking and then this:

 . . . and this:
It took about an hour for that concept to sink in, but they finally grasped it and enjoyed the journey.

There were people from all over the world at the Grand Canyon.  Probably because it's so grand.


Now I see why my nose and chin are sunburned today.


We hiked for over two miles and he only had one nervous breakdown.  Success!  Speaking of Miles, he noticed for the first time that his name is on every other road sign.  It was a very exciting drive for him.


Harrison nearly gave me a heart attack.  I feel like he should be afraid of cliffs.  The morons who crossed the barriers to get pictures of themselves standing on cliffs were no help at all.


I know how this looks, but I swear I'm nowhere near the edge of the cliff.  It's all Jeff's trick photography.


Classic Jeff.


Chloe is fascinated by rocks and asked lots of questions about how the canyon was formed and read every information marker.  Teacher's pet!

We walked a million years yesterday.  It totally only felt like a thousand.

We kept thinking it would stop being awesome at some point, but it's amazing from every angle.

The weather was really lovely.  It only got up to 78 degrees.  It was nice to be outside enjoying nature.  We don't do that much.  We're city folk.

Jeff has always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon, so this was a dream come true.  Except for the part where he had hoped to stay home and do nothing on Labor Day.  He was very kind to make the drive just because I asked nicely.

Yep.  Still awesome.

Miles photobomb.

Seriously giving me a heart attack.


They did it!  I have no idea if they will remember this, or not, but at least there's a record of it here.  I went to the Grand Canyon once when I was 14 and I don't remember it at all.  I think this visit will stick with me.

Here's a panoramic shot I took with my camera.  [Click to enlarge, Mom.]

Grand Canyon = ta-done!

2 Wisecracks:

Ted said...

Classic Jeff indeed.

Patti said...

What a super cool fun thing to do for Labor Day! Loved all the pictures, and the panoramic shot was awesome!