Monday, October 20, 2014

Phoenix Temple Open House

Last week we had the opportunity to attend the Open House of the new Arizona Phoenix Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

We watched a movie about why Mormons build temples and how the architects and designers try to incorporate themes from the area into the building.  Then we were taken on a silent tour inside the temple.

The kids enjoyed seeing inside the temple and can't wait until they can go inside again when they're 12.  They especially liked the stained glass on the ceiling and the baptismal font.

It's a beautiful building with some really lovely artwork.  It will be dedicated mid-November and after that, only members of the church will be able to go inside.

After the silent tour, we were led to a hospitality tent where missionaries were waiting to answer any questions we might have.  Miles saw this Christus statue and said he was going to go give Jesus a high-five.  So irreverent.

I missed the bus back to the parking lot when I left the group to get this shot.  It reminds me of Superman's Fortress of Solitude from this angle.

The temple is about an hour Northwest of us in Glendale, so it was a long ride home at sunset.  That drive is very open and you can see for miles all around you.  That had to be the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen in my life.  This is a SOOC shot I took from the car.  What a great reminder of the beautiful earth God created for us.

I'm so grateful we have a temple nearby where I can go each week and do work for my ancestors as well as be reminded that families can be together forever.

1 Wisecracks:

Patti said...

That is a very beautiful temple. That sunset wasn't bad either. Oh my.