Friday, January 16, 2015

WHAM!

All three of our kids decided they wanted to play Wham basketball this season.  Yes, that's right, ALL THREE of them.  They had their first games of the season on Saturday and nobody cried.  (Okay, I cried a little.)

Chloe's game was first.  This little girl completely fell apart when I took her to her first basketball practice.  So much so that I was wracking my brain trying to remember if we were forcing her to do this as some sort of punishment.  Months ago we asked her if she wanted to try it and she said yes.  She gets nervous in new situations, so it was a bit overwhelming.

Chloe may not consider herself athletic, but she's coordinated and she's very good at following directions.  She declared her first game "Fun."  Phew!

Another fun thing about basketball is that being tall is a definite plus.  Just ask #12.

Miles was pretty much walking on air about playing in his first basketball game.  It turns out there IS something cuter than kindergarten soccer.

Miles spent the whole game with his hands in the air yelling, "Pass!  Pass!"  Ain't nobody passing the ball in this game, son.

He did finally get his hands on the ball and made a shot.  He's used to shooting on our 10 foot basket at home, so most of his shots went too high.  This one went in.

Harrison's been playing basketball for a few seasons now, but I'd never seen him play like he did on Saturday.  He was completely focused and gave it his all.  This boy eats, sleeps, and breathes basketball.

Early on in the game, he brought the ball in, bounced it behind his back and made this shot.  I may have teared up a little.  Where did this come from?

His team lost pretty hard and he took it pretty hard, but I've never enjoyed watching him more.

Just a few more viewings of Space Jam and I think they'll have this all figured out.

4 Wisecracks:

Emily said...

Driving in the car today, Ava announced that she's going to marry Miles. I said, "Miles Lopez"? and she said, "No, Miles Maxwell. But he doesn't know it yet and I'm not going to tell him until I'm ready to get married."
So keep it under wraps okay?

melissa said...

Oh my goodness! That is going to be such a hard secret to keep!

Nicole said...

How is Miles supposed to practice his dodging skills if no one passes him the ball?! :) Good for Chloe - that really is a lot of athletics, isn't it. Coordination and following directions.

Harrison's form is pretty remarkable. Maybe it's all those hot afternoons at the courts near the park?

Patti said...

I got a little teary eyed myself with that description of Harrison's shot. *sniff* Chloe had fun AND her hair looked GREAT! Miles has got the intimidation part down. Look at that little kid's face as Miles goes up for the shot. Half the battle is won.