Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Not-So-Pretty Face-Off

Contestant Number One: MAFW
Some background about this picture from Wendy, herself:

"I was in the 4th grade and REALLY proud of the fact that I was wearing pantyhose with this dress...TO SCHOOL! I did my own hair.

While standing IN LINE for pictures, I took out a barrett and put the side up thinking it would look super glamorous, then I turned to the girl behind me and asked, "does it look okay?" She kind of nodded and said, "sure" When I got the pictures I was so horrified that I tried multiple times to throw them away. My mom would take them out of the trash and said, 'Sorry, you can't have retakes, This will build character.'
Nice mom. So here you go."




Contestant Number Two: Jen
There's no story here.  She just looked like that.




Contestant Number Three: Jeff
He requested that I enter this picture of him.  No lie.



Contestant Number Four: Me
The contest was to beat the picture in my earlier post, but I have worse.  I searched high and low for the real worst picture of me (lest you think my eighth grade school picture was just an isolated incident of ickiness.), but I can't seem to find it, anywhere.  It looks something like this:


Except my hair is bigger and frizzier in the real thing.  (Does anyone in my family know which picture I'm talking about?  Mom, if you find it will you send it to me?  I mean, Dad, if Mom finds it, will you send it to me?)

So, there you have it.  Cast your votes now for the winner IN THE SIDEBAR POLL.

11 Wisecracks:

allyn said...

sorry, i have been blinded by tears in my eyes. i was just reminded of the magna doodle game we use to play. that is the funniest thing. i rarely laugh out loud when i am alone, but i can't stop myself.
jen wins only because of the hair. her face is adorable.

Nicole said...

Ah, man! I forgot about this! You all look so sweet, though, that I feel bad laughing. (Are those wrestlers on Jeff's shirt?)

Jen said...

What do you mean there is no story!? How about this: The strawberry hair that I had worn long until my 11th year was brutally cut off by a beauty school drop out who gave mom a great deal on a full Little Orphan Annie 'do. Free, I'm sure. Short all over with a perm. I've got that picture if you want it. It went from short to square to mullet before I could finally look in the mirror without crying three years later. I'll never forget that psycho telling me that I had 'virgin' hair "Do you know what that means???" before her hatchet job.

melissa said...

I've had stylists tell me that, too. I'm pretty sure that means your hair has never been dyed. Or maybe the beauty school drop out was just calling it like she saw it. hee hee

wendy holt said...

I want to know how Jeff thinks he even has a chance at this contest.

Ashley said...

Oh, best post ever. And I'm going to have to go with Wendy only because she was going for 'glamorous' in that shot. I think it's really cute that her son has that exact same cowlick. Are you the 'awesome friend Melissa' who took the pictures at the park :) MAFM?

wendy holt said...

Yes, Ashley, she is MAFM.

Meredith said...

Dang, I couldn't find my fave bad picture from my youth. Must be at my parents' house. I love this contest! Great idea.

Jolee said...

Okay, so I'm a friend of Wendy's and realize that I should vote for her, just based on friendships, but really, it's not that bad... you can tell that the hair had potential. However, Jen's hair is freakin' hilarious and the back story of the beauty school drop out really sealed the deal! Jen definitely gets my vote :)

kenzie said...

Oh man! I needed a good laugh! I know the picture you're talking about, Melissa. Wendy and Jen totally tie. I love that her mom told her it would build character, and I love that someone told Jen she had virgin hair; never say that to a young girl. And I do love Jeff's picture, especially the part where someone (probably him) brushed his hair with a wet comb in the front and a dry comb in the back. I will laugh about this for a long time. Thank you.

kenzie said...

And I love Jen's sweet face with that awful hair.