Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Closing Ceremonies

Well, the Olympics are over.  Is it me or are Winter Olympians INSANE?  I'm guessing you would have to land on your face a million times before you realize you can jump in the air on skis, do a few flips, and not land on your face.  Did you finish your Olympic projects?  I didn't finish as much as I had hoped.  Neither did Liz.  She says that makes her the Lindsey Vonn of knitting.  I think I'm the Apolo Ohno of hanging pictures on my walls.

Here's my silver medal project:

I've been wanting to do this ever since I saw this picture in my dad's autobiography (not available in stores, yet.):

In case you can't read my grandmother's labels, that's my grandma and great-grandma and my father is in the buggy.  I really love this picture.  Bessie looks scary stern and I've never seen my Grandma Shirley's hair down like that.  I found a few other pictures I loved and now I can look at them all every day.

Here's my first bronze medal picture:

We're even more adorable framed, no?

Here's my bronze medal relay project:
My mom gave me this picture of the Raleigh Temple for Christmas with instructions to decoupage it to a wooden board I had spray painted and distressed.  See how obedient I am?  This gets the bronze metal because I went the cheap route and got the 1/2 inch board instead of the 1 inch.  Also, I sold my soul and went to Walmart for the Mod Podge because it was the only store open that had it.  Then I got home and found two bottles of Mod Podge.  Boooooo.

I also have a project that I started but messed up on and haven't finished, yet.  I'm going to blame the Canadian referees for that one.

17 Wisecracks:

Unknown said...

So is the Gold medal project posted tomorrow?

Unknown said...

I think you deserve the gold medal for completing three fancy projects during the olympics when most of us, including me, completed none. Bravo! They're awesome!

wendy holt said...

LOVE IT!!! Totally gold medal worthy!! You really are 'growing in stature' project wise.

Mom said...

These are beautiful projects! I love how the temple picture turned out - you did a great job. Such interesting choices of pictures for the picture wall. We're honored to have made the cut.:) And Dad finally figured out where the Grandma Bessie/Grandma Shirley picture was taken (he's wondered for a long time).
I think you deserve gold!

melissa said...

Aubrie, no gold medal project here. None of them turned out as well as I had hoped. That's why I'm Apolo, see?

However, today I expect to win a gold medal for Cleaning Up After Three Puking Kids with Diarrhea. I can hear the roar of the crowd, already! (Nope. It's the kids puking.)

Nicole said...

Beautiful! I love that the family art wall is just in glass - like they're floating there on the wall. It's perfect - you were totally robbed of the gold on that one.

Now I want to unroll my temple picture and figure it out. Is mod podge hard to do? Would I have to go to Walmart? (Because I won't.)

Annie Jarman said...

Whatever, these are all gold medals! I LOVE the black and whites! I've had that same idea in my head with those same types of frames, too. I love the mix of old and new photos. I have PILES of B&Ws of my grandparents that are amazing.

And I am in love with that picture of you and Jeff. Can you guys be any cuter?!

You have inspired me

allyn said...

i would have to agree that you have been the most productive olympian in this category. i think i got nothing done during the olympics. unless all but one of my kids puking one after the other and me too is a category. sorry it got sent in your direction somehow. the pictures look awesome and the temple picture looks good here, too. sorry you lost points on your score for not using the right size board. those are the breaks. better luck in the next four years.

Mom said...

She used the right size board, just the smaller of the two choices. With the larger one you can have the edges routed (I'm not sure how to spell that - anyone?) It makes a more decorative border around the picture, but the plain one looks great too.

KQ said...

Peggy, I want the details on how to do the temple picture. Where'd you get the picture? Thanks in advance. :)
Kikka
kikkaq@gmail.com

koryn said...

Love the photo collage! I would give it higher marks.

As for projects finished during Olympics - 2 roman shades, sewn, unpicked, reglued, resewn, FINALLY hanging in place. Joy.

Jen said...

We all got different temples?

Greg said...

Talented as always! Love it!

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

I totally LOVE that wall of pictures.
Can you come and do my house next. (And I don't mean next time the Olympics are going on...........I need decorating help NOW!!)

Unknown said...

Well I agree that the pictures look great. I can't wait to see them in person sometime relatively soon. Also. You definitely get gold for the cleaning up after the kids. That really sucks! I hope they feel better quickly.

elizabeth said...

love it!

Meredith said...

It all looks great! I especially love the wall of family pictures. That is a great idea!
I wish I had a buggy like that. I ran into an old friend one day walking her infant in a beautiful buggy. I went home and googled it: only $990. Slightly out of my price range (okay, more than slightly).