Wednesday, May 19, 2010

You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby

Remember my baby picture game?  Well, that picture of me is the only baby picture I've ever seen of me alone.  Secretly, I wasn't even alone.  I needed a baby picture of myself for a church activity and since there weren't any of me alone, my mom let me cut my dad out of the picture.  Nice.


I think not having any baby pictures of myself has made me more conscious of taking pictures of my kids.  Even if they are bald.  (Yes, that's the reason I was given as to why there are no pictures of me.)  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the picture taking once I had more kids, but they've all lucked out.

Harrison was the first baby, so naturally we have a million pictures of him almost smiling and hours of videotape of him doing nothing but sleeping.  Jeff got a digital camera a month after Chloe was born, so we now had the advantage of clicking away without ever having to actually buy prints.  I got a new camera a few weeks before Miles was born and, along with it, a new hobby.  I have more pictures of Miles than the other two kids combined.


It's funny how different my experiences with my babies have been.  With the first baby, every new thing he learned to do was so exciting!  Watching him learn and grow that first year was just amazing.  With the second, every time she learned something new I kind of freaked out a little because it meant she was no longer a tiny baby.  Her babyhood seemed to just fly by.  With the third, I've been able to enjoy his achievements and be a little more relaxed about the fact that he won't be a baby forever because I know there are still many more milestones to come. 

Tomorrow Miles turns a year old, so I decided to dress him up like Andy Bernard and take a million (more) pictures of my baby.  He's so lucky that he'll have plenty to choose from when he gets older.

10 Wisecracks:

Elise said...

Wow, Melissa, you make cute kids and take great pictures! Doesn't get better than that, right?

Mom said...

The truth is, there were a million pictures taken of you, too, but Grandpa did most of it. And you were usually in a gaggle of sisters.:)

melissa said...

Sure, sure, Mom. The operative word here is "alone." By myself. It's made me aware that I need to take individual shots of my kids and not just group shots. That's all. Friends forever?

allyn said...

those are beautiful pictures of your beautiful little man. i have too many pictures of my kids, i think. they are all over the house. it's as if i worship them, or something. they do make for good decor, though.

Jess said...

I love seeing pictures of happy little Miles. Too cute! I know what you mean about pictures alone- I was the first kid, so there are tons of pictures of me. Not as much of the other siblings. My sister (kid #4) was a baby when my parents got a camcorder, so there are lots of videos of her. Not much of the others. I admire your dedication to give those kids their childhood recorded- and alone!

Annie Jarman said...

Yes, the Nard Dog! Love that show.

Your baby is gorgeous. Your photos are gorgeous. Someday he'll be real happy to sort through the thousands of photos you have of him and see his life so well documented. I have piles and piles of photos of my kids and it's been so fun to go back through them recently. Especially the ones of when they were babes. Sure goes by fast.

PS: I want that blue wall. Badly.

KQ said...

You can never take too many pictures of a cute kid. Never. Happy Birthday Miles!

Greg said...

He looks just like the Nard-dog!
So handsome!
I can't believe it's already been a year! Happy Birthday little man!

Andrea Lee U.R. said...

Oh my cuteness!!
He is going to have all the little girlies wrapped around his chubby little fingers. :)

Don't feel too bad about not having a picture all alone. When I was born, our video projector broke. Yep, no reels of me to be found anywhere. (but no working projector either so its all good!!)

Nicole said...

He's a shoo-in for the Newsies revival in that last shot. LOVE the blue blues and his happy little face. I cannot believe he's a year old tomorrow. That made me burst into a few tears. Time flies.