Monday, February 4, 2013

February Book Review: Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth

On Saturday Chloe and I had our Mommy and Me Book Club meeting for February.  She's flying through these books pretty fast.  I hope Santa's elves leave her something a little more challenging next month.  Like War and Peace

February's book is Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth by Jane O'Connor.  It's the first in a series of chapter books featuring Fancy Nancy.  In this book, Nancy and her best friend, Bree, like to pretend they're detectives (complete with trench coats, a secret headquarters, and a super secret code) and they spend most of their time in search of a mystery to solve.  Eventually they get TWO mysteries to solve and when they put all the evidence together, the results are shocking.  Shocking, I tell you!
This book was perfect for ages 6-8 and we both really enjoyed reading it. Nancy has a pretty extensive vocabulary and my favorite "fancy word" she introduced to Chloe was "integrity." We had a great discussion about integrity and how it feels when you tell a lie or when someone accuses you of being dishonest. We talked about forgiveness and friendship and how we would have felt in Nancy's situation. I was surprised that it left us with so much to talk about. Thank you, Fancy Nancy!
For our book club meeting we dressed up fancy and I gave Chloe a notebook in which I had written several cases we needed to solve (like "The Case of the Broken Hearts" and "The Case of the Thirsty Party Guests") and let her choose which case we should solve first.  She chose "The Case of the FANCY Treat" so we went and got fancy cupcakes at St. Louis Cupcake (Meh.) and talked about the book. 
Then we went to the craft store where I had to buy some felt hearts.  My plan had been to find a magnifying class to bejewel (just like Nancy Clancy's), but they were pricey and I forgot my coupon.  Sorry your mom is cheap, Chloe Belle.  We'll have to do that another time.  Our next stop was Target to get drinks for our Super Bowl party and that was where Chloe cracked the code.  "These aren't really mysteries.  This is more like a shopping list.  But that's okay.  I like shopping with you." 

4 Wisecracks:

Ashley said...

So cute! Abby and I just read this one too for her library reading group. The librarian got a great discussion going with the girls about integrity too. The next one is "Nancy Clancy: Secret Admirer"-- I think it has a Valentine's theme.

Your bookclub is such a great idea and Chloe looks pretty smashing in that sequin fedora!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

Again, I believe you are a genius...shopping is a bit like a mystery, in your defense. I'm so happy I was actually able to witness this bookclub firsthand! Can't wait to bomb your next book club next month!

Tammy and Alvin said...

Genius secret shopping list idea! I'll have to try to sneak that one by my kids.

Patti said...

I thought last month as I read about the Mommy and Me Bookclub, how can she top this? Well done! (Shopping is definitely a mystery.)I can hardly wait for March!