Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Go Cards!

As I mentioned before, the kids and I all participated in our library summer reading programs.  We each won two tickets to a Cardinals game.  Last night we all headed to Busch Stadium to watch the Cardinals play the L.A. Dodgers.


We learned last year that our children's interest in live baseball games rivals only their interest in live animals.  What matters most to them in this world is treats.  With the hope of staying longer than three innings, we supplied the treats.

We had considered leaving Miles at home with a sitter after he ruined baseball for us last year, but I reconsidered when I remembered that he's a year older and kind of a charmer.


He spent most of his time entertaining the fans sitting behind us.  And the girl he spilled a cup of ice on thought he was adorable.

Harrison and I went to get a drink and a stadium photographer asked if he could take a picture of me with my brother.  Riiiiiiight.  That guy knows how to get business.

The Cardinals scored a home run in the second inning and the stadium exploded with fireworks and applause.  No one scored again until the Ninth inning.  Chloe kept turning to me and saying, "It seems like they're not scoring very many home runs, anymore." 

[Photo by Harrison.]

In the top of the ninth inning, THIS GUY started freaking out in left field and someone came in to replace him.  I still don't know what happened to him.  Maybe I should have gone to the bathroom so I could hear the game broadcast and know what was happening at the game I was attending live.  What the?  After that, they switched pitchers 78 times and the Dodgers scored two runs.  They beat the Cards 2-1.

I'm not saying it's anybody's fault, but maybe if Jeff had been rooting for the Cards and not the American Fork Cavemen, things would have gone differently.




8 Wisecracks:

Tammy and Alvin said...

Holliday had to leave the game because a moth flew in his ear!! The moth divebombed him and flew in so deep he couldn't pull it out. It was just fluttering its wings inside his ear canal. You know the season is jinxed when even the wildlife is out to get you.

Go Redbirds!!

Jen said...

Is the caveman shirt a hand-me-down from Aaron or were you guys big supporters while Aaron was there?

melissa said...

Thanks, Tammy and Alvin! I knew you guys would know what happened to Holliday.

Jen, I bought that shirt at Walmart when I was out looking for a place to live in SLC. I forgot he even had it until he put it on before the game and I said, "You're wearing THAT?"

Mom said...

Careful, Wendy, we have two Cavemen in our family! I was wondering if Jeff "borrowed" it from Aaron or Brian.:)
Looks like you figured out how to entertain the kiddies for an entire baseball game, although extra innings (which our LA friend calls free baseball) may have done them in. Way to go!

Nicole said...

The cotton candy reminded me that Bridget asked me a few days ago if she could have that stuff that we put between our toes. "Toe jam?" "No, when we do polish." She was talking about cotton balls. I maintain that there is no more disgusting "treat" than cotton candy.

allyn said...

again with the awesome free entertainment in st. louis. you have almost convinced us to move there. hilarious accusation!! those pictures are such a great accompaniment to your story. how do you do it?

miles is such a big boy, charming all the girls and trying to start a wet t-shirt contest.

melissa said...

YAY! My plan is working! Okay, secretly that evening cost us a few bucks because parking is ridiculous and cotton candy and popcorn ain't cheap.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Ahhhdorable kids eating cotton candy!! Ya gotta have somethin' ta do while no one is scoring. :) I had to go look up the video of Holliday freaking out. Good stuff.